Summer is almost officially here, Mother Nature in the Reno area isn’t 100% convinced, though. 20 degree temperature fluctuations have been the norm the last several weeks. So getting out and enjoying the great outdoors that surround us has been interesting. Sunday started out as a fabulously lovely day…
We just acquired a 2-person Hobie pedal-driven kayak and have been anxious to get it out on the water. We headed out to Lake Tahoe and arrived at Sand Harbor to water as smooth as glass. Launching the kayak for its real maiden voyage was exciting, and I was looking forward to a little exercise and sun. Exploring the Lake Tahoe shoreline and seeing the mountains from the vantage point of the lake was a first for me. Absolutely breathtaking views all around and the water was so clear that we could see the bottom in many places. Feeling relaxed and happy we pedaled 5 miles (according to the GPS) before turning around to head back to the launch site.
Within what seemed like seconds, the lake was choppy with waves buffeting us as we attempted the return trip. We were getting splashed and tossed around, it was scary and I was more than a little nervous! My legs had been feeling tired before we turned around, and now fighting the waves I couldn’t stop pedaling to rest.
At a little less than half way back, we decided to beach and rest to see if the waves would calm a bit. On the beach, we explored the option of dragging the kayak up a rocky slope to the road and attempt to hitch a ride back to Sand Harbor boat launch. The lake was not settling down at all and there were no other vessels on the water. Should we try to pedal back? We contemplated for about an hour.
We had a decision to make and it had to be immediate. What would you have chosen to do in this circumstance? We decided to head back in the boat. We figured if we could get to the closest point of Sand Harbor we could beach there, go a half mile to retrieve the car and load up from that parking lot. However, it seemed as though that target kept being moved away as we were tossed around, taking in some water. Trying to keep far enough away from the shore to avoid the rocks and to stay close enough in to avoid the big waves was very tiring. My legs were jello, but I had no choice but to push ahead.
Obviously, we made it back safely, but a bit shook up by the ordeal. I share this with you because in life, as in business, we are tossed around by circumstances not entirely in our control. If the water had been choppy when we first arrived, we would not have gone in the water. Would you jump into your business if you knew that the way would be as “choppy” as it sometimes can be? Would you have taken what seemed to be “the lesser of two evils” and dragged the kayak up the hill or would you have taken to the water?
I’m not sure that we took the right path. We could have gotten into some serious trouble out there. I learned a lot on Sunday! I learned that I still have guts and a “don’t quit” spirit. My Spark didn’t get dampened. I learned that our relationship can withstand rough waters (pun intended)!
Looking forward to the next adventure, but I hope not to be tested as much the next time!
Please share your stories of adventure!